Monday, January 5, 2009

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Oh Yankee Doodle Dandy, what a great way to start the year. In 1997 the #100 spot of AFI's top 100 list was occupied by this ridiculously patriotic and wonderfully entertaining film. (It rose to #98 in 07) This musical biopic directed by Michael Curtiz (yes, 'Casablanca' Michael Curtiz) is about "the Man who owned Broadway," George M. Cohan and James Cagney (I LOVE him) just lights up the screen as the title character. 
While I probably wouldn't put 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' anywhere near my personal top 100; especially since any amount of US flag waving on the silver screen annoys me (that extra 3 seconds of Old Glory in 'Spider-Man 2' irks the hell out of me), I can absolutely understand why it's on this list. The movie tells the story, in flashback, of the life of George M. Cohan, as told by the man himself to the president of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt. Nowadays you might be hard-pressed to find a lot of people who know who Cohan was, but you might find some who know a few of his well known songs "Give My Regards to Broadway," "She's a Grand Old Flag," and the war-time anthem "Over There." The movie itself could not have come at a better time for Warner Bros., when it was released in May of 1942, five months after Pearl Harbour, isolationism was over and support for the war was in full force; it wouldn't have hard at all to fill theatres for every showing.
Despite all of this, I believe the main (and possibly only) reason for 'Yankee Doodle Dandy's spot on the AFI list is James Cagney's amazing and Oscar-winning performance as Cohan. It turns out that Fred Astaire had turned down the role and people were surprised to hear that crime-star Cagney would play the titular character. However, they were not to be disappointed, while Cagney may not be a dancer on Astaire's level, but boy, can he move! and he's definitely not much of a singer at all, he's such a great actor you don't care, he sells every step and every bar. He entertains you in every scene he's in, whether he's performing on Broadway, wooing his future wife, or even mourning his father, he's always giving everything he has. Sadly, I'm fairly certain this is the only Cagney movie on AFI's top 100, which is too bad because I love watching him light up the screen. When they talk about not making actors like they used to, Cagney's definitely one of those guys for me. If you really want to see what I'm talking about don't only pick up this flick but also see if you can get your hands on 'Angels with Dirty Faces' (he was nominated for an Oscar in this one too), 'White Heat' (Cagney at his worst, and by that I mean best!), and 'G Men' (one of my favourite early gangster movies).
Well, I know it's a little late in the day, (but it's still up on Monday and that's pretty good for me!) but I hope you've enjoyed my first of the AFI reviews. I intend (I know, "the best intentions of mice and men...") to have the next one out for Wednesday, until then, keep it reel.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the 3 seconds of Old Glory in Spiderman 2 should be replaced by 3 seconds of Old Greg. that would be a much better movie.